For those of you who want to know a little more about me, here are some fun facts!
- I was born and raised in So Cal. I haven’t lived in sunny California since 2006, but still feels like “home”. I was raised in La Cañada, moved to Pasadena, then San Francisco, Oakland, Los Feliz and then… I moved to the Czech Republic.
This is me, already wide eyed and ready for adventure.
- I lived outside of the US for almost 7 years. I moved alone, and not knowing anyone. I took a chance and moved with two suitcases and about $1000 in my pocket. I took a TEFL course and decided to look for a job after. I was 31 when I moved to Prague. I spent the better part of my time in Prague teaching English. I taught adults for the first half, and preschool/1st grade for the second. It was awesome. I worked at a bookstore and I hosted Karaoke. Prague is amazing and I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. I traveled to Geneva, Berlin, Dresden, and various parts of the Czech Republic and met a ton of great people. Traveling in Europe is easier and cheaper than traveling in the US. If you are open to Hostels and Couchsurfing you can go just about anywhere for little money.
- I took a sabbatical from Prague and lived in Guaymas, Mexico – in Sonora. Again, this was all paid for by me. I taught Kindergarten and spent my off hours at a deserted beach drinking Mexican beer and margaritas. It was a lovely place, but the heat and the poverty got the better of me. Not just my personal lack of money, but the lack of money in Sonora. There was a huge amount of the community that was very poor and very ignored.
- In July of 2012 I relocated from Prague to Austin, Texas. I managed to stay there a year before deciding that Austin was not all it was cracked up to be. The heat and the hipsters made it unbearable. I wrote about it HERE and managed to piss off an entire city! (“Mess With Texas” can now be checked off the ol’ bucket list!) Not everyone can take criticism.
- I have held down just about every job you could think of from teacher to tour guide to cubicle monkey. I’ve been working since I was 13. Not having a job has never been an option for me. I feel like most people never really explore what is out there. I have! I never picked a “career” because I enjoy doing many things.
- My boyfriend and I drove from Houston to San Francisco in January of 2014. While on the road we saw The Grand Canyon… we stood on the corner of Winslow Arizona, and made our way to beautiful Berkeley, Ca.
After our road trip we spent a month volunteering at a Buddhist Retreat Center. It was supposed to be six months, but they asked me to leave. You can read more about that, HERE.
- In March 2014, we finally stopped moving about and settled in Seattle, WA. Seattle has a lot to offer, and you can’t beat the scenery.
- I LOVE singing and I love Musicals. A lot. Karaoke is not just a hobby for me – it’s a sport. I have hosted karaoke, and I used to sing and act professionally – doing mostly musical theater and singing at weddings (yes, sometimes I got paid for it) and I miss it every day. I plan on doing more of it. I’ll keep you posted.
- Movies are a way of life for me. You know how some people get really excited for The Super Bowl? Well, I am like that with the Oscars. I love to discuss movies, review them and watch them. My friends call me the “Walking Talking IMDB.”
- I am a HUGE supporter of LGBT Rights & Women’s Rights, and I am vocal about it.
- I can easily tell you “who done it” in a movie or TV show within the first 40 minutes. It’s a gift.
- I have an entire TAB of this blog dedicated to books and reading. I’ve worked in three different INDEPENDENT BOOKSTORES in two countries! BOOKS! I try to only write about books I have actually read, and my lists are not the same lists you’ve read on other book sites. My favorite authors include Joyce Carol Oates, Haruki Murakami, John Irving, Erik Larson, Julia Child, Tom Robbins, Margaret Atwood, Ray Bradbury, Roald Dahl, Stephen King and… the list goes on and on forever.
- I am a writer, among other things. Duh, right? You are reading my blog! Although I write non-fiction posts here, I also write fiction. I have completed (and won!) NaNoWriMo 5 times, and have had a few short stories and poems published many moons ago.
- I play the ukulele. I play the ukulele, just not very well. There, that was honest. I am trying to get better. You can see proof of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmO1snUF–w